Proper brake pad bedding is often overlooked, but in fact, it is vital to enhance performance and prolonging the life of brake pads and brake discs. In other words, it is imperative to ensure your brake pads get the proper bedding-in if you want them to reach their full potential.
Advantages of proper bed-in of your brake pads:
- Better pedal feel
- Minimized brake squeal
- Reduction of brake dust
- Prevention of brake judder
Not only that, you get to save money, and get more satisfaction out of your car. And if you attempt to use the brakes before they are being bedded-in, you face the risk of carbonizing and over-heating the surface of the brake pad. Consequently, performance will be reduced by a large percentage and the resultant - a glazed surface. You will probably hear your brakes starting to complain, which is what leads to annoying brake squeal.
After fitting new brake pads, drivers are advised of the need to bed the brakes in. This allows the brake material surfaces to be conditioned to the brake disc correctly. The following steps can be followed:
- Accelerate vehicle to 60 km/h
- Apply brakes using light to moderate pedal pressure to reduce the speed to approximately 10 km/hr
- Repeat step 1 & 2 at least 10 times, with allowance of 300 meters between the steps
Note: Under no circumstances should the vehicle be driven with continuous braking applied as a bedding-in procedure as:
- Excessive heat will be generated
- Resins will be burnt
- Loss of braking efficiency could occur