The Department of Transport has amended the regulations pertaining to the transportation of workers in essential services with effect from 31 March 2020.
The new transport regulations are as follows:
- public transport, transporting essential services personnel, will be able to operate from 5:00 to 10:00 and from 16:00 to 20:00;
- minibuses and midi-buses are allowed a grace period to proceed to pick-up points, without loading passengers, a hour before the pick-up operating times and a hour after the operating times in order to finish offloading passengers;
- institutions who are performing essential services may make arrangement for the transportation of their employees in line with its operating shifts or work time schedules as determined by the operations head or relevant person with authority. The operating shifts or timetable should be stamped and signed by the person with such authority;
- public transport vehicles must:
- reduce their maximum licensed passenger seating capacity to 70%; OR
- a minibus or midi-bus may load 100% of its licensed passenger capacity provided that all passengers are wearing a surgical- or N95 respiratory mask; and
- a vehicle licensed to carry up to 4 passengers may only transport 50% of its licensed capacity.
We will keep members abreast of any further developments.