Last night, the President announced new amendments to the Covid-19 Alert Level 1 lockdown regulations, by increasing the Alert Level to an amended Alert Level 3.
The regulations take effect as of midnight on 28 December 2020.
The amended regulations are as follows:
- all indoor and outdoor gatherings are prohibited for 14 days, except for certain excluded businesses including restaurants, museums, gyms and casinos, a full list of which will be set out in the regulations;
- non-essential establishments, including bars, shops and restaurants, must close at 20:00;
- funerals may only be attended by 50 people;
- any business premises must determine the maximum number of employees permitted on the premises to accommodate a 1.5-meter distance between employees;
- curfew is extended from 21:00 to 6:00;
- every person is compelled to wear a mask in a public space. It is now a criminal offence not to do so, punishable by a fine or imprisonment;
- sale of alcohol on- or off-site is prohibited; and
- all beaches, dams, rivers, public parks in hotspots are closed.
The following additional hotspots have been identified:
- Chris Hani District
- Buffalo city
- Alfred Nzo
- OR Tambo District
- Llembe District
- Umgungdlovu District
- Ugu District
- Harry Gwala
- King Cetshwayo
- West Rand
- City of Cape Town
- Central Karoo
- Bojonala District
- Waterberg District
- Capricorn District
We will keep members abreast of further developments.
NEASA 24/7 NATIONAL HOTLINE: 086 016 3272
(please have your membership number at hand)