Vehicle recovery data from leading vehicle tracking company, Cartrack, reveals that criminals don’t take a break over the festive season. Motorists must be aware that car thieves do not take leave, and must be as protective over their vehicles as always.
Tracking data from Cartrack’s operations over the prior year festive season of December 2018 shows that an average of 18 stolen and hijacked vehicles were recovered by the Cartrack team per day, evenly split between hijackings and thefts. The highest number of hijackings were recorded in Durban and surrounding areas, while most car thefts took place in the city of Tshwane.
The statistics also reveal an alarming risk and impact on the people and passengers using vehicles: more than half of the reported hijacking cases involved passenger vehicles, followed by minibus taxis. Car thieves targeted passenger vehicles the most, followed by SUVs and double cab bakkies.
Putting customers in control is a central commitment of Cartrack, which is why the company is encouraging vehicle owners to remember these safety tips so that they can keep themselves, their loved ones and their cars safe:
- Always keep your car doors locked and your windows closed while driving.
- Park in well-lit areas, preferably with parking booms or guards on duty.
- Make sure that all valuables are safely locked away and not visible.
- If someone walks up to your motor vehicle, don’t open your window; if they appear suspicious, rather drive away safely.
- When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so that you only reach it when the light turns green, especially at night.
- When stopping behind a vehicle, leave half a vehicle length in front so you can escape in an emergency.
- Avoid driving in unfamiliar areas late at night and in the early hours of the morning when the roads are quiet.
- Always check your rear-view mirror to see if you are being followed. If you suspect that you are being followed, drive to your nearest police station or a safe public area.
- If you are hijacked, do not resist or challenge the hijacker. Do exactly as you are told, surrender your vehicle and move away as quickly as possible.
Cartrack’s superior technology offers leading-edge protection for vehicles, and is substantiated by Cartrack having the highest audited recovery rate of 92%. Cartrack is so confident of recovering its customers’ vehicles that it recently expanded its R150,000 Recovery Warranty to include a world-first R1 million Recovery Warranty. This gives customers peace of mind that in the unlikely event of their stolen or hijacked vehicle not being recovered they can be paid out the book value of their vehicle up to a maximum of R1 million.
Cartrack South Africa CEO, Harry Louw, concludes that Cartrack is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all its customers.
“While the festive season is usually a happy and care-free time for family and friends, it is also a period that is often fraught with dangers. However, by undertaking a few standard safety precautions, the season can remain a joyous and safe time for drivers and their loved ones. We therefore urge all drivers and passengers to remain vigilant over the festive season and ensure that they are put in control of their safety and security.”