The brand-new Audi Q8, which recently arrived on South African shores, exemplifies progress and industry-leading innovation in a thrilling package, combining the elegance of a four-door luxury coupé with the versatile convenience of a large SUV.
The new Audi Q8 is a convincing travel companion whether its style, design, technology or comfort that you’re after. But the interior is where the action is…
- If connectivity is what you are after, the Audi Q8 offers Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to mirror smartphone features onto the dashboard, and the Multi-Media Interface (MMI) touch-response infotainment system, as a standard feature.
- Simplicity is the new premium. Simple, easy-to-understand symbols on the MMI stand for the digital precision from Audi and for the high level of integration of the architecture and operation.
- Clear and distinctive, the operating concept in the Audi Q8 needs almost no buttons or knobs. It focuses on two high-resolution touch displays: The upper display with 10.1 inch screen diagonal is used for controlling the infotainment and the navigation system. The lower 8.6 inch display allows the driver to manage the heating, ventilation and air conditioning as well as comfort functions and text input into the MMI.
- The MMI touch response concept allows for fast and reliable haptic feedback. A confirmation click can be felt and heard when a function is selected with a finger tap. The menu structure is intuitively logical and flat like on a smartphone, including freely configurable favourites and start screens.
- The Q8’s natural-language voice control provides suggestions from the cloud and information stored onboard. Tell the Q8, “I am hungry” and it will suggest nearby restaurants!
- The MMI navigation plus feature includes the Audi Virtual cockpit as standard. Its high-resolution 12.3 inch display in front of the driver within the instrument cluster, can be switched between two views – classic and navigation – with the multifunction steering wheel.
- The optional head-up display projects navigation and lane-guidance information onto the windscreen, within the driver’s direct field of view.
- The Bang & Olufsen sound rig provides an extraordinary 3D sound experience through 23 cabin speakers.
- The Audi phone box with wireless charging connects cell phones to the car antenna wirelessly by near-field coupling. This allows it to deliver appreciably better reception quality. The box also enables inductive charging based on the Qi standard, provided that the mobile device supports it. The current flows from a coil in the base of the box to the receiver coil in the smartphone.
- On the road, adaptive cruise assist supports the driver with accelerating, braking, cruise control and following distance, and detects lane markings, roadside structures, and other vehicles.
- The night vision camera available in the Audi Q8 uses a far infrared camera. It reacts to the heat given off by objects. Converted to black and white images, the information can be viewed in the MMI or Audi virtual cockpit. The cooler surroundings appear dark, while animals and people appear strikingly bright.