- Volkswagen's connectivity solution will debut with the launch of the new T-Cross later this year
- VW Connect dataplug offers Volkswagen customers an easy retrofit car connectivity solution
- Pre-sales of the T-Cross open from 15 July
Volkswagen's new compact SUV, the T-Cross will be launched in South Africa in September this year.
With its bold design and dynamic look, striking appearance, spacious interior, practicality, versatility, as well as connectivity, the T-Cross is a cool addition to Volkswagen's fast-growing SUV range.
At launch, the T-Cross will be available with Volkswagen's VW Connect dataplug. The dataplug is an easy ''Plug and Play'' retrofit car connectivity solution which has countless benefits for Volkswagen customers.
The Volkswagen Group plans to invest billions of Euros in digitization in the next five years, making the car the central hub on the Internet of Things. This means that the development of a Group-wide platform and digital services for the "Volkswagen We" ecosystem is being accelerated.
In South Africa, Volkswagen's connected community strategy started with AppConnect which has been available to iOS users since 2016 and Android users since 2018. The VW Connect dataplug is the next step in connectivity and will launch with the Volkswagen T-Cross from September 2019.
The dataplug which is plugged into the Onboard Diagnostic Interface, sends data via bluetooth to the customers' smartphone. The VW Connect dataplug processes the vehicle data and this is then visualized to the customer.
The VW Connect dataplug functions include;
- Overview of the most important car data
- Car Servicing
- Assessment of driving style
- Overview of the fuel consumption monitor
- Automated saving of car location,
- Digital logbook including the option to export it
- Collecting of trophies and points and
- 24/7 contact to the Volkswagen Assist hotline
The VW Connect connectivity solution will also be extended to all Volkswagen vehicle owners from next year. This app will thus replace the current My VW App in South Africa.
The VW Connect dataplug is standard on the T-Cross Comfortline, Highline and R-Line models.
Fasts Facts about the Volkswagen T-Cross
- The T-Cross measures 4.2 metres in length (182 millimetres more than the Polo), 1 584 millimetres in height compared to the Polo's 1 461 millimetres and has a wheelbase of 2 551 millimetres.
- The driver and front passenger sit 597 millimetres above the road, while the rear passengers benefit from a vantage point of 652 millimetres.
- Up to four USB ports and the optional inductive wireless charging ensure optimum connectivity and sufficient power for smartphones.
- Another highlight of the T-Cross is the optional Beats sound system with a 300-watt, 8-channel amplifier and a separate subwoofer in the luggage compartment.
- Optional safety and driver assistance systems available on the
T-Cross includes Front Assist area monitoring system, the lane keeping assistant Lane Assist, Hill Start Assist (available from 2020), the proactive occupant protection system, automatic adaptive cruise control (available from 2020), Park Assist and the Blind Spot Detection lane change assist system with the integrated Rear Traffic Alert (available from 2020).
- The T-Cross boasts a top score in the Euro NCAP safety tests
- 16-inch wheels are fitted as standard on the T-Cross and 17-inch alloy wheels are available as an option.18-inch alloy wheels are only available as an option on the Highline and R-Line models.
- The T-Cross will be available in the following engines;
1.0 TSI with 70kW (available from the second quarter of 2020 at the starting price of below R300 000 for the Trendline derivative),
1.0 TSI with 85kW (available at launch) and the top of the range
1.5 TSI with 110kW (available from the first quarter of 2020).
- The 1.0 TSI with 70kW engine will be offered with 5-speed manual transmission. The 1.0 TSI with 85kW and 1.5 TSI with 110kW engines will only be offered with 7-speed DSG transmission.
In a first for Volkswagen South Africa, pre-sales of the T-Cross will be open from 15 July 2019 on www.vw.co.za. The pre-booking process on the website gives customers the opportunity to be the first to buy the T-Cross from Volkswagen dealers before it becomes available in September.
Recommended Retail Price (VAT and emissions tax included)
1.0 TSI 85kW Comfortline DSG® R334 600
1.0 TSI 85kW Highline DSG® R365 000
The T-Cross comes standard with a 3 year/120 000km warranty,
a 3 year/ 45 000km Volkswagen Service Plan and a 12-year anti-corrosion warranty. Service interval is 15 000km.